The Cowlitz Locavorian

--An information source for local, healthy food
--A personal account of adventures in food

Friday, November 19, 2010

Open again

This blog is open to readers again...
Posted by Elizabeth at 3:44 PM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Eating Real, Slow, Nourishing and Traditional Food

  • GNOWFGLINS
  • Culinate
  • The Weston A. Price Foundation
  • Slow Food

Eating Locally

  • Locavores
  • Eat Local Challenge (Portland-based web site)
  • Eating Local Challenge [a group blog]
  • 100-Mile Diet

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2010 (19)
    • ▼  November (1)
      • Open again
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  April (1)
  • ►  2009 (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  June (1)
  • ►  2008 (21)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  April (20)

Search 2.0

Search This Blog

My Cool Foodie Stuff at Amazon Store

Featuring things I use (or really really wish I had) at Amazon.

Welcome to The Cowlitz Locavorian

I'm Elizabeth. I live in Longview, Washington. In The Cowlitz Locavorian, I want to explore local eating...everything from farm fresh eggs to the politics of food to the real and urgent need to make sure that the whole world has enough to eat in the next few decades.

And yes, recipes. And food preservation. And root cellaring (how do I do it in an upstairs apartment?) Gardening, the search for local farms, and interviews and photos with local farmers...they are all on my agenda for the future of this blog.

Supermarket food travels an average of 1500 miles to our communities. If you start paying attention to "food miles" on your food, you will realize that you are eating cherries from Chile, ham from Ohio, rice from Asia, and orange juice from Florida....

The local food movement encourages you to eat (for instance) fresh strawberries, artisan cheese, eggs from chickens who have spent their lives scratching in the dirt on a green pasture.

This summer (2010) I have also been involved in learning about a different twist in the food movement. Some people call it Real Food, some people call it Nourishing Food. At the center is an entire food philosophy outlined by Weston A. Price and a book titled Nourishing Traditions. This way of eating emphasizes not only fresh and local food, but the benefits of raw milk, grass-fed meat, pastured eggs and chickens, wild seafood, and the preparation of food (especially grains) according to traditional recipes.


Disclosure

Yes, this blog has ads. If you click on a link that takes you to Amazon.com, I will earn money if you actually buy something from them. I am also an affiliate for the Real Food Media Blogroll affiliate program.

Will this affect my content? Yes, to the extent that it will encourage me to add such links. No, in that I won't link to anything that unless a) I use it myself and like it and can honestly recommend it or b) I would like to buy it myself if I thought I could afford it.

There's too much junk and clutter in the world -- including in my own life -- for me to encourage you to buy junk and clutter. But I won't shop for the best price for you...you can comparison shop for yourself.
Watermark theme. Powered by Blogger.